I have tried a dozen lenten (non-dairy) chocolate chip cookie recipes with no luck. FINALLY I found one that is kid tested and approved (by my kids at least). So I am sharing this recipe with all of you and I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do!
Lenten Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2cups margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice (i’ve also used vanilla almond milk & coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli semi-sweet are lenten)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Slowly add orange juice, cream well, then add vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoons on cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Serve with ice cold glasses of almond milk.
Recipe yields approx 6 dozen delicious cookies.