Tired of only finding Advent Calendars that have 25 days? I was so I made one with 40 days! This way my kids could start counting down to Christmas on November 15 we start the fast. In hindsight, it would have looked a lot neater with number stickers instead of writing them, but I was trying to keep the cost reasonable. And you really can do it either way.
Here are some pics:
On the back is where you store the magnets until you need them:
Here’s what I did:
Forgive me if the directions are a little confusing!
You will need:
- 1- regular large sized cookie sheet
- 3 – 12 x 12 sheets of Christmas themed scrapbook paper cut down to size.
- 2 – 12 x 12 red and green cardstock (I used the textured kind)
- I had 25 wooden nativity themed pieces already so I needed to find 15 other pieces to have enough for 40 days. I’d like to find some tiny wooden icons like pin sized of Sts. Savva, Nicholas, Katerina, Herman, etc. that celebrate during the Nativity fast to put on their dates, but for this year I just used snowmen, etc.
- Permanent scrapbooking tape
- 40 magnets
- various stickers and embellishments; ribbons, buttons, etc.
- pack of letter stickers (number stickers optional) I used 3-D stickers
- 1/2″ Christmas ribbon ( about 1 1/2 ft. long)
- hot glue gun
- permanent marker
01. First, you’ll need to size your papers, I made a border of about 3″ on top and bottom in contrasting paper, to your cookie sheet (you’ll be using the back; the right side will face the wall and will hold your extra pieces), then cut it to size and tape together on back of paper and place on cookie sheet.
02. Then, you’ll measure out room for 40 squares for the days. I used the width of a ruler for the length and a $10 quarter roll (flattened) for the width of the squares. I did 5 per row, and pencil them in lightly in case you need to erase anywhere. Next I traced my lines with a permanent marker and wrote in the numbers from the 15th of November until Christmas.
03. Next, I put my stickers on the top and bottom (Christ is born! Rejoice!) and taped some decorative ribbon on the top and bottom of the these phrases. Next you’ll cut out 40 red and green squares slightly smaller than the squares on your cookie sheet and glue your pieces to them and then glue the magnets to the back. Make sure you glue the magnet on the right side or it won’t stick.
04. Finally, add whatever other embellishments you’d like, I used some regular stickers, some metallic ones and some 3-D ones. Last you will drill two small holes in the top of your cookie sheet and put your ribbon through to hang it. Put all pieces on the inside (front) of the cookie sheet and take off as you need them!
Now you have an Orthodox Advent Calendar!