Orthodox Kid’s Pen Pal Program: Basic Rules

WOW!! I am finally finished pairing up all the children for the Orthodox Kid’s Pen Pal Program! There are just under 100 kids participating! I am so excited!

I received some great suggestions from all of you for this program! I plan to incorporate many of them as the program continues. Right now I want to get it up and running smoothly and I’ll work in the details as we move forward.

There are some basic rules that I ask you all to please keep in mind:

01. Keep an eye on your child’s letters. I am not responsible for the content of these letters. It is each parent’s responsibility to ensure the letter’s content is appropriate.

02. Letters are due on the 1st of each month. Please be prompt! This month since everyone is anxious we will make the deadline March 25th! (See next post for this month’s letter details)

03. Every so often I will have a theme for the month. I will only do this periodically, as I want the children to discuss whatever they want! :)

04. If for some reason you decide that you want your child’s partner changed or you simply are unable to continue participating, please let me know immediately so I can place the other child on the waiting list for another partner.

On the same note, if there are any problems with your child’s partner please notify me and I will contact the parents. Though I will make every attempt to resolve issues, I am not responsible for anything that goes on between partners. I truly don’t anticipate any problems but I want to make this clear ahead of time.

If you have not received your child’s partner info please email me at PenPals{at}OrthodoxMom{dot}com a.s.a.p.!! As of right now every name that I received has been partnered up and sent out.

I plan on keeping this project ongoing so I will continue accepting names. What I’m planning on doing is paling kids up quarterly.

Comments

1. hi, i posted a comment about this earlier but i did not get an answer. here it is:Hi, i am a mom of five and i have a girl who will be 8 in april Maria, a boy who is going to be 6 in april Peter and thomas will be 5 in may. I realize i am late but is it past all hope haha, and also is it ok if we are catholics. I was Eastern Orthodox by baptism but i think our faith is coming from the same stream that is Jesus and his Apostles. If it is too late and we can not do it that will be sad but we can try next time!!! Thank you i enjoy your blog!!

2. Patricia Kambouraki says:

Would like my daughter Athena now 5 to join pen pal. My husband does not have any family in the states and will be great to bring her close to his background and religion. (as I try to also by taking her to the Orthodox Church). Thank you.

• Hi Patricia, how wonderful of you to respect and enjoy your husband’s background. Your daughter is a lucky girl! Partners for the Pen Pal Program will (God-willing) be paired up again in June. Please e-mail me your daughters, name, patron saint, age and interests, so that we can find a pen pal best suited for her. Thank you and God bless you!

3. Any one want to pen pal with a 14,12,8 year old , I also have a great Sunday school here in greece that would love to participate.

4. Mary Kaye says:

Sylvia – if it’s not too late my daughter Alena is interested in having a pen pal. Alena is 15 and was born in Bucharest, Romania. She came to us when she was almost 2 years old.

Her patron saint is St. Helen and her interests include lacrosse and hanging out with friends.

MK

5. Georgina says:

Greetings from PEI, Canada!

God Bless you and your family. What a wonderful idea! I have 3 children ages 4, 6 & 8. We would be interested in participating in the pen pal program.

Where can we find more information?

Yours In Christ,

Georgina

6. How do I sign my 7 year old daughter up?

• Orthodox Mom says:

Matushka, please send the information listed on the post to penpals{at}orthodoxmom{dot}com. I’m hoping to have someone pair them up by October. :)

7. I would love to sign my girl up for the fall if it’s not too late!
    Melanie (patron – “the younger”)
    She loves animals , running and other sports. She’s 8. We live in Portland, Oregon.

8. I would love for my 6yr old daughter to join! She loves to write and is a very social person. We live an hr from our parish and since we home school she doesn’t have very many Orthodox friends.
    Thanks!

• Koula Konstantinidis says:

Hello my name is Koula and if you want we can have our children write to one another. Please let me know if you are interested because I think we missed the deadline for this. Thanks.

9. Koula Konstantinidis says:

I want my six year old to join the pen pal club you have please email me to let me know how to begin. Thanks.

10. kaitlin murphy says:

hello my name is kaitlin and i am 16 i am a orthodox christian and i would like to be pen pals with a 15 or 16 year old to talk aboout anything .I like to see my family and i go to church but i am not very religious. Please reply back to me if you want to talk.

• Orthodox Mom says:

Hi Kaitlin,

I will hopefully be pairing up pen pals soon. But until then, you could feel free to write to me! If you want to, email me at Sylvia{at}OrthodoxMom{dot}com. We can email or write through regular mail. Let me know! :)

11. I have two daughters, one of which would love to join in on this pen pal program. If possible, could you please get with me so we could sign her up? Thank you so much! God bless!!

12. Shalome Wilson says:

My 3 eldest children would like to participate. They are 11(girl(, 7 (girl), and almost 6 (boy). If there is another pre-schooler that would like to be matched up with parental help, I have a 3 year old girl that would love to participate as well.

13. Tasha Cooper says:

Hi I have a son that is 14 years old and would like to have a penpal so he can learn m ore about his religon. Pleae send me any information for him. His name is Joseph Sifuentes
    Thanks

14. I would like to involve my Sunday School students with pen pals.can you set me up with 30 pals?

• Orthodox Mom says:

Hi Helen,

I’m in the process of finding someone to run this program for me right now. It’s just too much for me to handle on my own at the moment! Hopefully, we’ll begin pairing kids up again soon! I’ve added your email address to our list and when we get things moving, you’ll get an update! Thanks for your interest and support of the program!

• Hello,

Have you been able to find someone to run this for you? I think it’s a great idea. My kids are really the only kids in our small church and it would be nice for them to connect with other kids.
        What are the needs of this position?
        Thanks,
        Erica

15. Christie Kyriacou says:

I really love that you chose the pencil-and-paper route. Receiving a tangible, crinkly, word-filled piece of paper to keep and treasure amounts to much more than an email. You have many great ideas, but this is o ne of your best. God bless your work, your commitment, and your family for supporting you in this journey which is sure to consume some of your family time as well as edify it. Looking forward to following your PB&J adventures!

16. Hello,

I’d love to get my Sunday School class involved in this. Do you have plans to start it up again for the 2013-14 school year? Thank you!

17. Is it too late to get my 7 year old daughter involved in this.

18. Could you please sign up
    Maximilian 12
    Yosef 10
    John 7
    Joachim 6

19. Lynnette Haralampopoulos says:

Hi Sylvia,
    I just happened upon your website while looking for Orthodox coloring pages for Sunday school this weekend.
    I converted to Orthodoxy nearly 15 years ago and I feel blessed to have found the Truth in the Orthodox Church and it’s Holy Traditions.
    My youngest child would love to join the pen pal group. She is eight years old and her name is Justina. We live on the outskirts of Toronto in a city called Richmond Hill.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Kind regards,
    Lynnette

20. Hi Sylvia,
    I came across your website and I was amazed how you’ve kept Orthodoxy in the USA. I’m writing from Greece, specifically Crete and my children are Stella 13, Constantina 9 and Georgia 5. I would like them to practice their English but at the same time be involved with orthodox children. Thank you for taking the time to read my comment.

21. Amy Pryadko says:

I would love to have my kids join the pen pal program! We are in a small Orthodox church with only a few other children. I have boys ages 9, 7 and 3 and a daughter age 5. Thank you!

22. Hi there!
    Love your blog Sylvia! One of my children is interested in having a pen pal now. His name is Gabriel and he is 7 years old.
    Please consider him for the next pairing. Thanks!
    Stasy

23. I have been looking for a pen pal for my children forever. I am so glad to come across your blog. We are catholic, but would love to be apart of your program. I have a 14 year old boy, 11 year old girl and a 3 year old girl.

Thanks

24. Vicki Poulos says:

Hi,
    I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old that I would love to connect with a pen pal. Please let me know if you will begin matching them up again.
    Thank you!
    Vicki

25. Amelia Jaime says:

I just found your website. I’m wondering if the pen pal program is still active. If so, I would like to help our church school children to participate.

Amelia

26. Hi,
    My name is Kayla, I am turning 14 in october and I would love a pen pal
    hopefully someone around my age or older.
    Thanks

27. Hello,
    My name is Mary, and my son is 9 & in third grade. HE is really lonely at his new school. He has made 2 friends and they both ended up leaving/moving. He is having a tough time! He is advanced & likes to talk about things that other kids don’t WWII, religion, geography, history.
    I know it is kind of late to be asking to join the penpal group… but I thought it might help him, ( and his writing) if someone was available…
    Thanks for your consideration.

28. HI again,
    My first grader, might be interested too.. but she is finding friends (but not orthodox ones) so.. I didn’t think it would be as urgent.
    _Mary

29. Hi,
    I was just introduced to your blog and discovered the Pen Pal program. I have two children, a daughter who is 12 and a son who is 10 1/2. They are both very interested in finding an Orthodox Pen Pal. Is the program still going? If so, would my children be eligible ? Thank you
    Melissa