I can remember the hot summer days spent at my grandparent’s house. The picnic table under the shady oak tree in the backyard always had a stainless steel bowl full of watermelon, a serving dish with small squares of feta cheese and a basket of fresh bread on it.
To this day, my boys refer to that set of grandparents as watermelon yiayia and papou. You will rarely visit their house on a summer day and not be served those three foods.
The other day my mother-in-law and I was asking me if I had any good summer recipes to make for the 4th of July this year. Valadou is having my godson Ephraim’s birthday party that day and are keeping with the holiday by having a picnic style party. The first thing that came to my mind were these delicious watermelon and feta cubes that I served a couple years ago at Sprout’s first birthday party.
Mommy and Geri made most of them that day, since I was busy taking care of other odds and ends before the party began, but I probably ate half of them from the plate before they finished! They became a quick favorite of mine and soon after, I made an easier version by throwing together a watermelon and feta salad.
So, if you’re looking for a quick and delicious dish to take to your Fourth of July picnic, this is it!
Watermelon Feta Cubes
- 16 1-inch cubes seedless watermelon, chilled
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- Using a small melon baller or a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon, scoop out a small well in each watermelon cube, keeping the walls of the cube intact.
- In a small bowl, mash together the feta, mint and shallots; season with pepper. Stuff the wells of the watermelon cubes with the feta mixture.
- Serve chilled.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 6 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the watermelon, feta, red onion, and mint in a large bowl.
2. Pour the lime juice and olive oil over the ingredients and gently toss to mix.
3. Serve immediately.
*If not serving immediately, you can toss everything but the feta cheese together, then sprinkle the feta over the top before serving.
*image credit via userealbutter.com