2013 Orthodox Kid’s Ornament Swap {sign-ups}

Whew!  It’s been a busy couple of weeks here on my tiny piece of internet homestead! Fall Favorites Swap packages were due out on Friday, Psalter Groups sign-ups began on Monday and now we’re getting ready for our annual Orthodox Kid’s Ornament Exchange!  Hooray!

Every Christmas for the past five years, our family and readers of Adventures of an Orthodox Mom have teamed up with our littles to create the most beautiful Orthodox Christmas ornaments that we swap between our families.  It is a much anticipated project, with emails starting in September asking if we’ll be doing it again this year and making sure they haven’t missed the sign up deadlline, lol.  (No worries in that department folks, I’m definitely not that organized!)  :)  Both parents and children love opening the mailbox throughout the next several weeks and finding creatively decorated envelopes filled with Christmas joy.

In our home, we have a special box reserved for all of the precious ornaments we’ve received over the years.  The boys love taking them out and reminiscing on the times they arrived and what goodies accompanied them, before hanging them on the tree.  It’s so much fun for all of us.

Last year, we made icons out of Shrinky Dinks.  You all know how much we love our Shrinky Dinks; we’ve done so many different things with them in the past and they’ve always turned out very well and held up over time, making them perfect for a project like this.

So, I placed a big pot of hot cocoa and bowls of marshmallows and peppermint sticks on the table and we got to work.

First, I printed the icons and the boys cut them out.  Then, they punched holes and carefully laid them out on a brown paper bag.

When they were all neatly arranged, I placed them in the oven and we watched them bake.  We all love this part!

When they were all finished, I sprayed them with a clear gloss spray paint to seal the icon on the plastic and let them dry a few minutes.

Then, the boys strung them on ribbons, packaged them up with some other little goodies and sent them off to their new homes all over the country!

making ornaments for the 2012 swap!

Orthodox Christmas Ornaments

I posted some links to previous swaps below. Every year  we have an awesome turnout.  Last year, we had over 55 kids!  I hope you’ll join in the fun this time around!

2012 Ornament Exchange

2011 Ornament Exchange

2010 Ornament Exchange

2009 Ornament Exchange

2008 Book Swap

The rules of the swap are simple:

01. Each child will make enough ornaments to send one to each member of his/her group. ORNAMENTS MUST BE HANDMADE.  However, if you are making ornaments that are fragile, PLEASE be sure to package them properly.  We received several broken ones last year and it’s a shame for all of their hard work to arrive in pieces.

02. Include a card (handmade or store bought) making sure that their name is legible, so we know who they’re from.

03. Most families include other little trinkets, candies, stickers, and other goodies.  This is a fantastic gesture but it is not required.

04. Packages must be postmarked by Wednesday, November 27, 2012 to ensure plenty of time for the children to enjoy their ornaments before Christmas.

05.  Ornaments are swapped one per family not per child.  Sibling names are included so that packages and cards are addressed to all of them.

06.  Something new I’d like to try this year is a Flickr group.  We usually have several groups of 12-15 people and so we don’t get to see any of the ornaments shared in the other groups.  I’m hoping by using Flickr we can all upload photos of our ornaments for everyone to see and enjoy!  You have to request membership so it will remain private and the link for that is here.  I’d really love for everyone to do this!  There’s also a Flickr app for your phone to make uploading your photos even easier.

If you’re interested, please email your children’s names, ages and addresses to Sylvia{at}OrthodoxMom{dot}com by Monday, November 18, 2013.   Please be sure to include all the info!

Comments on this post will not automatically sign you up but I do recommend commenting so I can compare the comments to the emails I receive to make sure I got everyone’s info who wants to participate!  But either way, be sure to send an email with the correct subject line so you can receive the list of names and addresses for your group.  If you don’t include 2013 Ornament Swap your message may get lost!

Looking forward to swapping with all of you again this year!!

Comments

1. Maria Murphy says:

Ellie M.
    Erie, pa

2. Eleni L.
    Maspeth N.Y.

3. Alexandra Pickard says:

Holy Transfiguration: 6-8 year olds
    Sioux Falls, SD

4. Athena Zannis says:

Email sent! Thank you!

5. Wonderful idea. We did a Lenten swap one year and treasure those. Will email. (You may want to warn people against posting their children’s names, ages, and addresses on a public site — I’m having an anxious moment over seeing those.) :-)

• Orthodox Mom says:

Glad to have you join us! Yes, I will definitely go through and edit the comments so that there is no personal information of anyone’s posted on the site. I was unclear in my directions, I only wanted the parents name so I can make sure I their email with all the private information. Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention!

6. Hello Sylvia, I sent you an email. Thank you, Valery

7. Tracey Lobue says:

Sent email! Thanks so much for organizing this, we’re so excited!

8. We are looking forward to participating this year:)

9. E-mail was sent!

looking forward to it :)
    Thanks

10. Hello,

I thought I posted my comment but I left the website and came back to find my comment gone…not sure if im missing something.

Anyhow, I sent an email and im looking forward to participating in this event :)

Thanks
    Heba

11. Hi! I just sent you an email. My sons are James and John. Thank you!
    Valerie

12. About to send an email with the children’s information to you :)

13. Getting Ready to send you our info via email!

14. My email neglected to have my name in there :/ it was for Mary, faith, and Isaiah.

15. Potoula Stavropoulos says:

Email sent. My girls are Christina and Yiana (ages 7 and 2) We are so excited!

16. ornament swap 2013.
    I’d love to have my family participate this year. What a fun tradition!

17. I just sent you an email. :)

Lindsay

18. Signed up thank you for organizing

19. Signed up Joshua, Jacob and Katherine
    Rebecca.delp@yahoo.com

20. Signed up my girls.

21. Signed up my girls Zoe and Eleni

22. Signed up! Hope all have a blessed lent!

23. Maria Murphy says:

I realize that I was one of the people who put an address/contact information in the comments in the beginning. Thank you for fixing that. I think I sent you an email with the information in it. If I didn’t, please let me know. Thank you for organizing this! My daughter is going to be so excited when packages start arriving for her!

24. How many children are generally in a group?

25. Thank you for this! Sofia, Miami FL

26. April Pituch says:

I emailed a few days ago !

27. Melissa Barnes says:

I emailed on Friday. When can we expect to get our lists?

28. Hello,

I have not received an email with the group names…did I miss it or is it still on the way?

thanks for your time and efforts!

29. I did not receive and email, am I to late?

30. Athena Zannis says:

I haven’t received an email. Can you check if I’m on your list? Thank you!

• Orthodox Mom says:

Did you send me an email?

• Athena Zannis says:

Yes, back on November 13. I also left a comment here when I sent it (see above).

• Athena Zannis says:

But if you missed it that’s ok, we’ll do it next time!

• Orthodox Mom says:

I don’t know what happened, there are four families whose emails are MIA. I searched my inbox and spam and can’t find them. The only thing I can think of is maybe the subject was not exactly what it was supposed to be and it went to spam and I deleted it beforehand. I’m so sorry! Please email me your info again, and I will get your group info to you!!

• Athena Zannis says:

Email sent! Thanks!!

31. I didn’t receive a list either can you check to see if we are on a list. Thank you.
    Rebecca.delp@yahoo.com

• Orthodox Mom says:

Did you send me an email?

• Yes I did on November 13. It’s ok if we didn’t get on a list. We can try again for next year.
        Rebecca

• Orthodox Mom says:

32. Hi there-

I did not receive an email for the ornament exchange. If we aren’t on this list that is ok, but I just want to be sure we weren’t assigned a family and didn’t know about it.

Thanks!

• Orthodox Mom says:

• Orthodox Mom says:

Hi Amelia,

I am sending out the last group today. If you still want to participate, please email your child’s name and mailing address to sylvia(at)orthodoxmom(dot)com asap! Thank you! :)

33. Maria Murphy says:

I just want to say thank you to Sylvia for organizing this and to everyone who has sent an ornament. My daughters face absolutely lights up when she gets mail!!! She loves everything!! Thank you!

34. Kathryn Zetts says:

The ornament swap is a wonderful idea! Wish I had known about it when my sons were small (22 and 19 now). Would you consider adding a small Sunday School class as a “family”? Wishing you a blessed Holy Week and Pascha!