Altoids tins are the coolest, aren’t they? I use one for my prayer rope supplies, one as a travel sewing kit and we even carry some lego guys and pieces in another one. They’re just the perfect size for your purse, backpack or glove compartment. That’s why when I saw this adorable idea for a little felt fishing set, I knew I’d be making
one a few. The first thing I thought of when I first saw it on Pinterest was what a perfect activity to use during the Apostles fast!
It only took about an hour from start to finish and required minimal assembly.
To make one you’ll need:
- Altoids tin
- sharp scissors
- dowel rod (I cut mine into three and sanded the ends)
- baker’s twine
- stainless steel washers (be sure they’re not aluminum because those don’t stick!)
- small magnets (mine are from Hobby Lobby. there’s 12 #10 strength for $5.99 before 40% off coupon)
- felt (you can use just one sheet and make the fish the same color or get 12 different colors)
- hot glue gun
- double sided tape
The first thing I did was cut and sand the dowel rod. Then I added a tiny line of hot glue to the end and wrapped the bakers twine around it. Then I knotted the end and tied the other end to a washer.
Next, I cut out my fish. I tried a few different ways when cutting them to see how they would glue best and I found that by folding the edge of the felt lengthwise and cutting the bottom from the tail up worked best.
Once all twelve of my fish were cut out, I placed one a magnet in the front middle of the fish but not too close to the edge so there was room to glue.
Then I piped a line of hot glue all around the edge and quickly pressed it together. The last thing I did was type up a little paper that has the verse from Mark 1:17 and says, “Follow Me and I will make you become fishers of men.” and also the names of Jesus’ 12 Apostles.
You can click this link to download and print the PDF: Fishers of Men Craft
The boys all love this! Even Ace who I didn’t think would really care made sure to tell me he wanted a pole so he could play too. 🙂
Our Rules to Play:
- Everyone gets a pole and we start with the youngest player.
- Each player has to name an apostle. If he names one correctly, he gets a chance to fish.
- Then the next player goes and so on.
- The person with the most fish at the end wins!
- Sometimes, as an extra bonus I ask the winner to recite as many of their names as they can remember.
It’s really simple but they enjoy playing and it’s a great way to learn the names of all the Apostles. If we’re playing at home, we finish up by reading a chapter from the book of Acts. This has been such a fun way thing for us to do during this fasting period! I hope you all enjoy it too!