Little by little, we’ve been trying to get rid of our chemical based household cleaners and other items.
One thing we’ve tried and love is homemade laundry detergent. I saw recipes for it all over the internet and kept saying I wanted to try it but never seemed to get around to it. So, DH went and bought the stuff and made it for me! The first time I used it I was so amazed at how well it worked! It cleans the clothes better than any detergent I’ve used, not to mention how much more cost efficient it is. Thanks, honey! 😉
Since then, that’s all we use. Whenever I’m running low, I ask him to whip me up a batch in the basement. It smells sooo good and only takes a few minutes to mix up.
Whip up a batch of your own with the following recipe:
- 5 gallon bucket with tight fitting lid
- 1 box of Borax
- 1 large box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1 4lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
- 2 bars Fells Naptha Soap
- 1 3lb container Oxi-Clean Versatile Stain Remover
- *Optional: 1 13.2 oz Downy Unstoppable in Wash Scent Booster (this is only if you want your detergent to be scented) or add your favorite Essential Oil for scent! My favorite oils are Purify and Citrus Bliss by DoTerra.
- Fill bucket with borax, washing soda, and baking soda and mix well.
- Chop Naptha soap up into small chunks and then put in a food processor until pieces are about the same size as the scent booster. (about the size of a split pea) Note: If you’re using essential oils, do not add them to the bucket as it would require too much. I have better results when I add my oils to the soap canister as I need it.
- Add stain remover, scent booster and soap. Mix until combined.
- Fill up your soap canister and seal the remaining detergent in the bucket.
Seriously, that’s it! I’m working on finding a good recipe for some homemade toilet fizzies and multi-surface cleaners. If I find any keepers, I’ll be sure to share them!
What natural home cleaners do you love?